Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Call Me Ishmael

Ishmael knew it was time to hightail it back to sea when it was damp, drizzly November in his soul. For me, it was when I realized that I knew, without checking the Comcast guide, that the Lifetime network was channel 48 on my cable system, and also that I was highly anticipating the next episode of Army Wives. I’m no Melville, but I know a sign when I see one.

Thus, I am now writing from some of my favorite literary outposts: first a window seat on a US-Air flight bound for St. Thomas, and now, Captain Celia’s home in Cruz Bay on St. John.

This weekend, I’ll be sailing in the St. Maarten’s International Women’s Keelboat Regatta with Team Skinny Legs. In a few hours, I’ll head over to Coral Bay to meet up with the rest of the girls on the team who will, it’s a good bet, not quietly take to the ship. Sorry, Herman.
###

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well,
I am green with envy, but you definitely deserve it! PLEASE tell everybody I say hello and don't skimp on the hugs, especially for yourself!

XOXOXOX
molliw

Anonymous said...

But the real question is: Have you seen every episode of Law & Order there is to be seen yet?

This is a monumental trip for you in so many ways - another in a series of firsts. Lots of luck and love and here's to a lifetime of firsts. Ellen

Anonymous said...

Good luck - As a fellow philadelphian who loves St John you've got to get your friends at Skinny Legs to give the World Champion Phillies some props...not just the Red Sox...best of luck...I've enjoyed your blog.. Joe

Anonymous said...

Go ahead, make my day.

[Ed.]